Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Wannabee?

Personal note: I first wrote this about 15 years ago, but I think it's still relative in it's message and intent today, especially with the racist attacks the past three years on our President and his family.

Enjoy!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been asked on several occasions why I wear an X hat or a t-shirt with Malcolm X on it. My normal reply is that Malcolm taught and acted on simple truths which, though he was asasinated over three and a half decades ago, are still valid today.
That statement is usually met by a disinterested and non-committal response. But sometimes I find myself in lively, intelligent conversation touching on any number of topics relevant to Malcolm and his teachings.

Two situations in the summer of 1996, however, cause me a bit of mental and emotional turmoil. The last week of June, I wore both my X hat and a T-shirt showing Malcolm backed by the American flag on the front; and on the back, he is pictured enjoying his family, with the words "Peace and Love" clearly visible.
Four people accused me of being a racist.

The next day, a man asked me if I am a "wannabee" black man because of my X hat. You see, I am what is called "white." So were all five of my accusers. Clearly, none of them had any real idea of Malcolm, and were just as clearly unwilling to learn.

This is not to say that so-called "Caucasians" have a monopoly on bigotry intolerance; we don`t. I have been laughed at and cursed at by a small number of young men of direct African descent. (Interestingly, the few threats and physical altercations I`ve dealt with had nothing directly to do with my advocacy of Malcolms` teachings.) Perhaps unsurprisingly, women of direct African descent generally have reacted by either staring or smiling; they`ve never shown anger or hostility toward my choice of attire.

It would seem, in general, that among people of direct African descent, women have a deeper understanding of Malcolms` experiences and teachings than do men. I do not suggest that there are no bigots among dark women, given, for example, the ongoing controversy among them regarding so-called "inter-racial" relationships.

Rather, it appears to me, a small percentage of young men, and an even smaller percentage of young women of direct African descent have the attitude that so-called "whites" are incapable of understanding certain issues: "You wouldn`t understand; it`s a black thing." Many of these same young men apparently feel threatened by any so-called "white boy" who honestly strives to comprehend these issues; and they react with anger and closed minds instead of an intelligent, open exchange of perceptions.

As threatening as my choice of attire may seem to these young men, none have ever, to my knowledge, called me a racist or a "wannabee." That distinction, ironically, comes from a few supremely ignorant specimens of my own so-called "race." Such ignorance as I`ve described can only be overcome through education and by example. As I teach my son, skin color doesn`t matter; being human does.

Malcolm X was taught from early childhood to be racist. He learned from his father, who preached Marcus Garveys` black separatism. He learned from the KKK types who brutally murdered his father. He learned from the criminal justice system of his youth. Finally, he learned from his mentor, Elijah Muhammad. And he taught what he learned. But then he went on a pilgrimage to Mecca, the home of Moslems and their religion, Islam.

From Mecca, Malcolm wrote, "I have broken bread from the same plate and drank from the same cup as brother Moslems who had blond hair, blue eyes and pale skin, and it didn`t matter."
On his return to North America, when reporters asked him What do you now stand for, he replied, "I am for Truth, no matter who speaks it. I am for Justice, no matter who it is for or against. I am a human being first and foremost, and as such, I am for whatever will benefit Humanity as a whole."

Obviously, this was not a man who can be claimed as a hero only for so-called "black America." This was a man who actively sought knowledge and truth. And when the truth he found conflicted with what he had learned before, he stopped being a racist.

This was a man who had the courage to grow, to become a better human being, and to proclaim it to the world in spite of overwhelming opposition. This was, and is, a hero for all people, no matter what degree of skin pigmentation we have.

The man who asked me if I`m a "wannabee" black man received the following response:
"I`m not a "wannabee" anything. I believe we should all follow Malcolms` example and throw off our prejudice."

But after due consideration, I`ve concluded that most people are "wannabee" something. Most of us have something we want but are too afraid to try to get, some status we want to achieve: a "wannabee" sports star, or inventor, or millionaire, or singing sensation. The list is endless. But we can achieve what we want if we work to overcome our fears.

As for me, I "wannabee" an example of positive living, racial healing, family togetherness and economic success, but most of all, I "wannabee" a positive role model for my son, whose mother died nearly ten years ago.

You see, his mother, my wife (pictured above, with me), had at least one pure African in her ancestry, and several so-called "mixed-race" people. If the bigots, racists, and separatists of history had had their way, neither my wife nor my son would ever have been.

Upon further reflection, I`ve decided that my other four accusers were also right. I am a racist. I believe in the Human race, which comes in many sizes and shapes, two genders, and innumerable shades of skin.

Namaste',
Don

2 comments:

  1. '..a small percentage of young men, and an even smaller percentage of young women of direct African descent have the attitude that so-called "whites" are incapable of understanding certain issues: "You wouldn`t understand; it`s a black thing." Many of these same young men apparently feel threatened by any so-called "white boy" who honestly strives to comprehend these issues; and they react with anger and closed minds instead of an intelligent, open exchange of perceptions.'

    Throughout history, people of the dominant culture have shown themselves to be untrustworthy and unsympathetic to the plight of people of African descent.That is why these young men react in that way.
    I commend you for your stance on truth and justice no matter who delivers it. It will take a lot longer for this country to overcome it's racist history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree. But we have to start somewhere, or it will never change.

      Namaste',
      Don

      Delete